miércoles, 8 de abril de 2015

Text language

In 3rd year ESO we are now dealing with the impact of mobile phones on people and language.   Written English has been affected by our need to text short messages anywhere, therefore new acronyms have arisen in order to communicate more words in less space and time.

Acronyms are a type of word formation in which new words are formed from the inicial letters of a  word, phrase or expression. Have a look at this presentation with plenty of examples of text language and acronyms, really useful in everyday communication especially among teens.


            

2 comentarios:

  1. Very interesting recapitulation, I found this very useful in the past and I used to write like that when I sent SMSs. "Unfortunately" whatsapp and predictive keyboards are making text language be out-of-date little by little, I'm starting feeling nostalgic about that :-)
    Daniel

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. yes, but I think I belong to a generation still reluctant to shorten words, I feel I am making spelling mistakes, that's the difference with younger generations' messages, correctness and length. However language changes, as this article says
      http://qz.com/377390/emoticons-are-improving-the-english-language/

      Eliminar